Tequila Lime Chicken is one of my favorite chicken dishes. Take the boring out of chicken and try this on Cinco de Mayo or anytime you are craving a good Mexican style dinner. This chicken in so tender and moist and has so much flavor. Warning - You use a ½ cup of tequila, so don’t use all the tequila in those margaritas, save some for the chicken! That being said - a margarita with a nice piece of lime, WOULD be the perfect beverage to accompany this meal!
- 4 split, bone in chicken breasts, the smaller the better
- ½ cup tequila
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from 2 limes
- Juice from 1 orange or ½ cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 T parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly, except for chicken. Place chicken in a large ziptop bag and pour marinade over chicken. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours, turning over a few times if possible.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with foil. Place rack that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray on top of foil. Place chicken on rack. Bake chicken for 30-45 minutes (this will vary due to the size of the chicken breasts), until the chicken is 155 degrees and the skin is nicely browned. Let chicken rest, covered loosely for 15 minutes, until the thermometer registers 165 degrees, and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Could also be cooked outdoors on the grill.
Serve with refried beans, rice, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, cheese, pico de gallo or salsa, tortillas, corn, lime wedges and sour cream. Whatever floats your boat! This is so easy, so flavorful and so FRESH, you won’t even think about ordering this out again!