Chicken, Vegetable & Tortellini Soup
The recipe for chicken, vegetable & tortellini soup got me thinking – How many ways can I love these little pockets of goodness called tortellini? Too numerous to mention, that’s for sure!! Tortellini is an awesome staple to have on hand in your pantry, refrigerator or freezer. The tortellini pasta comes stuffed with all kinds of cheeses, vegetables or meat, and are absolutely delicious! I watch for them to go on sale and stock up to have some on hand when I am in need of a quick meal or appetizer! YES, appetizer! Just cook the tortellini according to package instructions, rinse in cool water, marinate in Italian dressing and place on toothpicks or skewers with grape tomatoes and black olives. How easy is that for you next party or potluck?
But let’s get back to this delicious soup that can be made in thirty minutes, but tastes like it took you all day to make! You can use leftover chicken from my Roasted Whole Chicken recipe, or use leftover chicken breasts or thighs, turkey or make it vegetarian and use no poultry at all! Use vegetables suggested in the recipe or make the recipe your own by adding what you like or what you have on hand. This is a great soup to help you clean out those vegetables that on their last leg in your refrigerator or freezer! Don’t throw them away(well, unless they are moldy or spoiled!), use the bits of this and bits of that in a hearty, healthy, tasty, soup!
This is such a great weeknight meal! Serve with a piece of crusty bread or crackers, if you like. Holds well on the stove for an hour or so, in case your busy family eats in shifts!
This one is for all my pasta lovers that want to add nutritious veggies to their pasta! One pot, one great soup, for a quick meal!
- 5 cups chicken stock, from the can, box or homemade
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 - 12 ounce bag Barilla© Three Cheese Tortellini
- ½ cup frozen or fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
- SEE OTHER VEGGIES BELOW
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, optional
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a 3 quart saucepan
- Add all veggies EXCEPT spinach and tortellini.
- Turn down heat, keeping soup at a low boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until veggies and tortellini are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Taste for doneness and seasoning, (oh yeah the fun part!) Adjust if necessary.
- Add spinach and chicken, cook for another minute or two until chicken is heated through.
- Ready to serve and enjoy!
- One pot, one great soup for a quick meal!
OTHER VEGGIES - If you have other veggies in your fridg that you want to use, go for it! Just add the ones that require longer cooking - cabbage, green beans, etc. at the beginning, and the ones that require less cooking - zucchini, corn, broccoli, tomatoes, etc. midway through. Frozen peas and corn can also be added when you add the spinach. Leftover cooked veggies can be stirred in towards the end, as well..
Wouldn’t the soup look nifty in these bowls?