Submitted by Laura Brandenburg
You won’t believe this is so good. When our health coach Robyn Johnson of Baby Kale Health had us experiment with two ways of dressing up raw kale for a snack, my husband and I were both extremely doubtful.
She designed a taste test for us. In one bowl, we mixed raw kale with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. In a second bowl, we massaged avocado into raw kale and added a little salt and pepper.
She asked us which one we liked best? I said I wanted to eat them both together. And that’s how I’ve been eating kale ever since, with a few extras to make this snack into a full-fledged lunch.
And, we’re not just weird ones who happen to like raw kale. I’ve served this at parties and received rave reviews from surprised converts.
- 2 cups raw kale, pulled into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ avocado
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- With a small fork, mash the avocado in a bowl.
- Add in kale.
- Massage avocado into the kale until fully mixed together. (This step takes some of the bitterness out of the kale and helps break down the fibers.)
- Add in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to distribute.
- Top with tomatoes and almonds.
Thanks Laura for this colorful, healthy recipe! We all know the numerous health benefits of kale, almonds, avocados and tomatoes. I'd call this a "Super Salad"!