Made from scratch Swedish Meatballs are like a birthday gift! You don’t know what you have until you open it up! These Swedish Meatballs are tender, tasty and easy to make! They brown in the oven with ease, so no pan frying is necessary! They can be used in Italian Meat Sauce, in Cream of Mushroom Gravy or in my Meatball Stew and many other dishes as well. Once you have made from scratch meatballs you will never make any other!
While meatballs are cooking, make made from scratch Swedish Meatball Mushroom Gravy - No more Canned Soup or Gravy in the Jar for YOU! This is chock full of fresh, REAL ingredients and tastes AMAZING! What to do with your leftover meatballs? One great leftover option-- Meatball Stew !
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 T chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Secret Ingredient - 1 mushroom, finely chopped (optional)
- Combine ingredients above, do not overmix this will make your meatballs tough.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and place in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until no longer pink. Taste for seasonings, add more to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls, bake on foil lined baking sheets. Spray foil lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from baking pan and place on paper toweling to drain. Can be cooled and frozen for up to two months.
- While meatballs are cooking, make made from scratch Swedish Meatball Mushroom Gravy, No more Canned Soup or Gravy in the Jar for YOU! This is chock full of fresh, REAL ingredients and tastes AMAZING!
Cream of Mushroom Gravy for Swedish Meatballs:
¼ cup chopped onion (finely chopped); 2 T butter; 8 oz. sliced mushrooms; 3 T. flour; 1 cup Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock©; ¾ cup half and half; ¼ tsp salt; ⅛ tsp pepper; ½ tsp garlic powder; ½ tsp marjoram; 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
In a large saucepan, cook onion in melted butter until soft. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Whisk flour into chicken stock until smooth and whisk into the mushroom/onion mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low and add half and half, salt, pepper and marjoram. Cook uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring bottom of pan often to prevent from sticking. Add more chicken stock if the mixture is too thick or if you need a lot of gravy! Stir in 24-30 meatballs, simmer for 15 minutes. Check for seasoning, add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot egg noodles with fresh green beans, broccoli or carrots to finish your delicious dinner! You will have approx. 30 meatballs left with numerous possibilities!