Barilla brand makes an excellent macaroni product!!
GREAT FOR A POTLUCK, FAMILY GATHERING AND MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE MEALS. NOTE: THIS CAN EASILY BE REDUCED IN HALF FOR A SMALLER FAMILY/GROUP.
- COOKING EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- 12 QUART STOCK POT (to boil macaroni in)
- 8 QUART STOCK POT (to make cheese sauce in)
- EXTRA LARGE BAKING PAN = FULL SIZE “HOTEL” PAN - 4 INCHES DEEP
- or FOUR SMALLER “HALF SHEET” PANS (to bake mac and cheese in)
- INGREDIENTS FOR CHEESE SAUCE:
- 10 CUPS ELBOW MACARONI (2.5 POUNDS)
- 2 SMALL ONIONS FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 1/2 POUNDS SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 10 T UNSALTED BUTTER
- 10 T FLOUR
- 1½ teaspoons GROUND MUSTARD
- 1 teaspoon GARLIC POWDER
- 3 teaspoons SALT
- 1 teaspoon BLACK PEPPER
- 10 CUPS WHOLE MILK, OR IF YOU WANT TO REDUCE FAT, USE ½ % MILK
- Spray pan or pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in 8 quart stock pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until onion is soft (do not brown).
- Slowly stir in flour, stirring constantly.
- Stir in milk 2 cups at a time, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened and the mixture comes to a boil, stirring often to prevent from sticking to bottom of pan. Boil for one minute.
- Stir in shredded cheese until cheese is melted. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if you desire. Keep cheese sauce warm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the meantime, bring water to boil in large stockpot. Add 1 T. salt to boiling water.
- Cook macaroni as per package instructions (usually around 9-11 minutes), drain well. With this large amount of macaroni, you will have to drain in batches. Tip: When I am dealing with a 12 quart stockpot full of hot water, and it is time to drain the macaroni, I dip a Pyrex glass measuring cup in the stock pot (carefully), and take out as much of the water as I can before I take the large stock pot over to the sink. The pot won’t be so heavy and will be much easier to dump. This is a great safety tip when you are short, believe you me!
- Place drained macaroni in baking pan (s). Pour warm cheese sauce over macaroni and mix well.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 - 40 minutes until bubbly and nicely browned on top.
- Everyone will enjoy this delicious made from scratch mac & cheese, believe you me!
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR LEFTOVER MONDAYS
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER MAC & CHEESE???
LEFTOVER IDEAS - ANY OF THESE DELICIOUS INGREDIENTS CAN BE ADDED TO YOUR MAC & CHEESE ON MONDAYS TO CREATE A TASTY, NEW, TRANSFORMED DISH:
ADD CANNED, DRAINED & FLAKED TUNA, SALMON OR CRAB
ADD COOKED BROCCOLI FLORETS OR FROZEN,THAWED PEAS
ADD FROZEN, THAWED, CHOPPED SPINACH OR CHOPPED, COOKED KALE
ADD BROWNED SMOKED SAUSAGE OR HOT DOGS OR DICED HAM
ADD COOKED GROUND BEEF OR TURKEY, AND YOUR FAVORITE SALSA
OR JUST FREEZE IN INDIVIDUAL PORTIONS FOR UP TO 2 MONTHS. THIS DISH FREEZES VERY WELL, YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT WAS FROZEN WHEN YOU REHEAT IT!
MAKE CLEANUP EASY TIP! I HARDLY EVER USE DISPOSABLE SERVINGWARE, BUT TODAY I DID BECAUSE I WAS TAKING THIS EXTRA LARGE PAN OF MACARONI & CHEESE TO A POTLUCK AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE AND WANTED TO SAVE HER FROM DOING ANY EXTRA DISHES LATE ON A SUNDAY NIGHT! (P.S. - She said thank you and smiled!)
If you can’t make your mac & cheese from scratch, Annie’s brand is a wholesome alternative!