- 2 ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 T (approx.) grated orange rind, from one large orange, this is the SECRET INGREDIENT!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- If using frozen, do not defrost before stirring into batter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 20 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk and orange rind, with a wire whisk.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry ingredients, stir with a wooden spoon, until the dry ingredients are moistened, about 15 full stirs around the bowl. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add blueberries, and FOLD IN GENTLY, you do not want them all to “burst”, your batter will turn bluish green (not pretty in my opinion!)
- Fill the muffin cups three - fourths full and bake 17-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Check after about 15 minutes to see how they are doing.
- Remove muffins from tins and allow to cool on wire racks.
IF you have any leftovers, these freeze beautifully. Leftover ideas: I freeze in packets of four. These make a great gift basket add-in. Also, you can use leftover muffins in my No Bake Blueberry Yogurt Parfaits