Recipe submitted by Julie Panson
If you love spinach pie (spanakopita) then you will love this appetizer. My aunt gave me this recipe back in 1982 and (based on a recipe from the Renaissance Cuisine Cookbook) I have been making it ever since. Not only does it taste good, best of all it’s easy!
- 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach (cooked according to package instructions and drained)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese (cubed)
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix together beaten eggs, milk and butter.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Add the cooked spinach and stir until blended then add the cubed cheese.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
- The edges will get golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes and then cut into small squares.
Terry's Note: I can’t wait to make this appetizer, Julie said it is a no fail!