- 1 & ½ POUNDS GROUND CHUCK
- 1 LARGE EGG, BEATEN
- ½ CUP SEASONED BREAD CRUMBS
- 1 TEASPOON WORCHESTIRE SAUCE
- ½ TEASPOON SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND SAGE
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND MUSTARD
- ½ TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
- ½ CUP EACH FINELY CHOPPED GREEN PEPPERS AND YELLOW ONIONS
- 1 CUP CANNED TOMATO SAUCE
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. SPRAY LOAF PAN WITH NONSTICK SPRAY.
- MIX INGREDIENTS WELL. PUT A TEASPOON OF MEATLOAF MIXTURE IN MICROWAVE DISH AND COOK, COVERED, ON HIGH FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS TO ONE MINUTE. COOL AND TASTE. ADD MORE SEASONINGS IF DESIRED.
- MIX 2 TABLESPOONS KETCHUP WITH 1 TABLESPOON YELLOW MUSTARD AND ¼ TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER. SPREAD MIXTURE EVENLY OVER TOP OF MEATLOAF.
- BAKE FOR 50 - 60 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND BASTE EXCESS GREASE FROM PAN. WITH A TURKEY BASTER. LET MEATLOAF REST IN PAN FOR 5 - 10 MINUTES. Resting will allow it to come out of the pan easier!
- CAREFULLY REMOVE FROM PAN WITH A SPATULA ON EACH END, OR CUT IN HALF AND REMOVE ONE HALF AT A TIME.
- LEFTOVERS CAN BE FROZEN AND ALSO MAKE GREAT SANDWICHES!
Wine Pairing Recommendation: This is a delicious comfort food, especially for this time of year! My recommendation for this would be a wine that isn't too tannic and with some acidity to it, a crianza level Spanish Rioja or even a nice montepulciano d’Abruzzo fits the bill. These are easy drinking table wines meant for comfort foods and a relaxing meal, with good conversations around the table. As always, drink what you like, but remember the world of wine is a great place to explore and getting better by the day! Cheers! - LJ